Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Lonely roads and lost souls

I like driving, in fact, I think that if I had the money, I probably wouldn´t stop for a few years. There are a few roads I'd like to drive from one end to the other, although I'm not a fan of such strict planning when I'm on the road. One of these roads is the old Highway 93 which has been renamed in places much like the famed Route 66. But in effect, you can drive the 93 from Alaska to Guatemala, through Canada, the US, and Mexico. And after the drive you can sit down, or perhaps you'd like to stand at this point, drink some Guatemalan coffee and watch the sunset. This would be a nice little trip. Another one is highway 50 across the US, "the lonliest road in America" they say, and that' s enough for me. Highway 50 stretches between Sacramento, California and Ocean City, Maryland, and as for route 93 it's a two lane blacktop for most of the way. Both Higway 93 and Highway 50 go through the Rocky Mountains. Hw 93 clings to the Mountains winding in and out of their realm, but hw 50 passes through them in Nevada, Colorado and Utah, with seven mountain passes in Nevada alone, five of them over 7,000 feet. Better think about having an extra transmission cooler fitted on your vehicle, or go stick shift.
These are only two of the roads I want to drive but there are more. Usually I wouldn't like to follow just a single road like that, but I think these are worth it.
My most exciting road trips generally have not followed such limitations as described above, and often have included the luxury of being happily lost. I figure that as long as you know roughly in what state, or province you're in, you're fine. The sun usually rises in the east, and sets in the west, although this is not necessarily the truth where I come from. The best parts of my road-trips have usually been the result of a spontanious decicion to take a 90 degree turn off the highway. Me and my friend Þorri drove a full day on a dirt road in Texas once, and did not see a single car or a human being untill we accidentally found ourselfes on route 66, bought some beer, drove down that road for a little bit and then took another turn. I drove across Canada last summer in some frantic attempt to get my head straight, and my favourite stretch was a race with a Ford station wagon in New Brunsvik, in the middle of a night on a lonly stretch of road in a 68 Plymouth. Another time I got drunk out of my mind deep in the Kentucky hills contry, having hallucinations and doing high speed driving exercises in a beat up 1979 Econoline and thinking about god and destiny. These are just a few examples, but I think they get the point across. You can´t plan the road trip, you´ve got to live it.
Well enough of this hippy dippy karma bullshit,
keep on road-trippin'
Der Hemul

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sælir, kommentaskortur þessarar síð er í engu samræmi við gæði þessara skrifa, sem eru mikil, sem er reyndar bara mín skoðun, og þarafleiðandi ekkert sem þú getur gert í því !

kannske eru það svokallaðir leynilesendur líkt og ég sem hafa legið yfir pælingunum og finna ekki í sjálfum sér inngangspúnkt í háfleygt heimspekirúnkið, sem þó vel að merkja býr yfir miklu skemmtanagildi (mín skoðun), ég reyndar finn heldur ekki neinn inngangspunkt inn í ritgerðarhelvítið sem ég á að vera að verka nú, svo ég kvóti merkan mann : warum hast du nicht gut gelesen ?. , sem að sýnu leiti útskýrir væntanlega aukna netvirkni þessa dags.

kannske ekki.

anyways ef þú tekur mark á að eigin mati vel frambærilegum fulltrúa minnihlutahóps rauðhærðra í norðanverðri efrópu, þá finnst mér gaman að skoða þessa síðu !

takk fyrir og kær kveðja,

1:47 PM  
Blogger Halldor said...

já þetta er helvítis hark Ási, stundum er vefskráin heldur einmanna. En þetta er ekki spurning um fjölda heimsókna, heldur gæði þeirra og þegar maður fær kveðjur frá slíkum fyrirmennum eins og þér endrum og sinnum þá hressast menn.
Takk för.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ég er einn þessara leynilesenda, kommenta sjaldan, kveðja, BBS

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home